408: The God Factor: Dynamic Spirituality and Mental Health
In their classic Handbook of Psychotherapy and Religious Diversity, P. Scott Richards and Allen E. Bergin state, “Growing empirical evidence indicates that spirituality and religious commitment tend to be associated with many indicators of physical and mental health and positive social conduct.” This workshop will explore how Christian counselors may construct a collaborative approach to working with clients that meets both their spiritual and mental health needs.
- Identify elements in a healthy religious and spiritual life
- Explore ways of helping clients develop greater insight into the relationship between their mental health and faith commitments/spiritual lives
- Describe a paradigm that may be utilized to guide discussion with faith-based clients focused on the development of greater insight into the interrelatedness of mental health and dynamic spirituality
070. Hope-focused Suicide Prevention: Risk Assessment Tools, Intervention Skills, and Survivor Support
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Suicide is a major public health issue in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), suicide rates rose 33% between 1999 and 2019. It is critical for all psychologists, licensed mental health...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary The field of professional Christian coaching continues to be a growing opportunity to partner with others in transforming lives, especially during these challenging times. However, maybe the idea of starting a thriving...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Attachment theory holds tremendous potential in the case of conceptualization and treatment of various forms of psychopathology, including childhood problems, relationship conflicts, chronic depression, anxiety disorders,...
030. Addiction, Substance Abuse, and Compulsive Behavior: Assessment, Treatment, and Effective Tools for Recovery
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Addiction and other compulsive behaviors have devastating effects on individuals, families, communities, and cultures. Biological, psychological, social, and spiritual dimensions of persons are involved in the progression...
022. Rising Together: Christian Counselors and Clergy Serving as Human Rights Advocates for Communities of Color
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Recent data suggest an increase in the number of African-Americans seeking therapy. There are also reports that African-Americans are terminating therapy early. Additional research is needed to understand both the increase...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary We live in a time of political unrest, violence, economic instability, and loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, Americans report high levels of prolonged stress and anxiety. This workshop will present a...