405: Transformational Accountability: Fostering Change and Growth in Church-based Recovery Groups
With increasing numbers of Christian clients reporting life-dominating struggles and addictions, many churches are launching Christ-centered recovery groups led by licensed mental health professionals to help individuals find freedom from addiction. A common challenge in church-based recovery groups is individuals who attend groups faithfully but continue to struggle with life-dominating behavior. They fail to experience lasting change or spiritual growth since accountability in the group is reduced to members using the group as a confessional to release feelings of guilt rather than a community resource when they feel vulnerable or triggered. In this workshop, the presenters will explain transformational accountability, which is accountability that is effective in promoting enduring change and spiritual maturity and can be developed through implementing an emotionally-focused approach in the group process. This approach targets heart change for clients in the following ways: fostering emotional awareness, uncovering faulty beliefs fueling negative emotions and behaviors, cultivating authentic connection with God and others, developing emotional and spiritual maturity, and enabling self-control.
- Discuss challenges related to accountability in church-based recovery groups and explore the concept of transformational accountability
- Describe an emotionally-focused approach that promotes transformational accountability in church-based recovery groups that licensed mental health professionals lead
- Develop practical applications and interventions for transformational accountability in church-based recovery groups
070. Hope-focused Suicide Prevention: Risk Assessment Tools, Intervention Skills, and Survivor Support
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Suicide is a major public health issue in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), suicide rates rose 33% between 1999 and 2019. It is critical for all psychologists, licensed mental health...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary The field of professional Christian coaching continues to be a growing opportunity to partner with others in transforming lives, especially during these challenging times. However, maybe the idea of starting a thriving...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Attachment theory holds tremendous potential in the case of conceptualization and treatment of various forms of psychopathology, including childhood problems, relationship conflicts, chronic depression, anxiety disorders,...
030. Addiction, Substance Abuse, and Compulsive Behavior: Assessment, Treatment, and Effective Tools for Recovery
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Addiction and other compulsive behaviors have devastating effects on individuals, families, communities, and cultures. Biological, psychological, social, and spiritual dimensions of persons are involved in the progression...
022. Rising Together: Christian Counselors and Clergy Serving as Human Rights Advocates for Communities of Color
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Recent data suggest an increase in the number of African-Americans seeking therapy. There are also reports that African-Americans are terminating therapy early. Additional research is needed to understand both the increase...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary We live in a time of political unrest, violence, economic instability, and loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, Americans report high levels of prolonged stress and anxiety. This workshop will present a...