105: From Trauma to Transformation: A Path to Healing and Growth
In a clinical setting, mental health professionals often talk about post-traumatic stress symptoms following traumatic life events, but few think about the possibility of post-traumatic growth (PTG)—the positive ways in which clients can be transformed by their trauma. Yet, this is precisely what can happen when Christian clients face their adversity and experience the ways God wants to use their trials to refine and mature them. This workshop will present research on PTG for women who have been relationally betrayed and discuss the components of transformation that can be used in session with a licensed mental health professional. The presenter will provide tangible therapeutic interventions to assist clients in embracing the trauma of loss and moving beyond survival toward a future of thriving.
- Define post-traumatic growth (PTG) and the components of transforming a traumatic life event
- Evaluate research on how a traumatic life event affects clients’ core beliefs about themselves, others, and their world
- Develop practical therapeutic interventions for licensed mental health professionals to use with their clients, moving them from surviving adversity to thriving
030. Addiction, Substance Abuse, and Compulsive Behavior: Assessment, Treatment, and Effective Tools for Recovery
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Addiction and other compulsive behaviors have devastating effects on individuals, families, communities, and cultures. Biological, psychological, social, and spiritual dimensions of persons are involved in the progression...
022. Rising Together: Christian Counselors and Clergy Serving as Human Rights Advocates for Communities of Color
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Recent data suggest an increase in the number of African-Americans seeking therapy. There are also reports that African-Americans are terminating therapy early. Additional research is needed to understand both the increase...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary We live in a time of political unrest, violence, economic instability, and loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, Americans report high levels of prolonged stress and anxiety. This workshop will present a...