404: The Traumatic Impact of Grief and Loss Related to Clergy Forced Termination
Forced termination of clergy could be considered a modern-day epidemic. Although it is difficult to obtain an accurate count, it is estimated that at least 25% of clergy will experience forced termination in their careers (Barfoot et al., 2005; Tanner et al., 2012). Perhaps even more telling is the impact that forced termination has on the lives of ministers, ministers’ families, the Church, and the community. This workshop will identify the seriousness of this problem and explore the significance of the traumatic impact of forced termination from a social, emotional, theological, and psychological perspective in the lives of the clergy and their families.
- Identify the problems related to forced termination and define terms related to job loss
- Describe the traumatic impact of grief and loss of forced termination
- Identify contributing factors that may lead to involuntary job loss and consequences of related forced termination
070. Hope-focused Suicide Prevention: Risk Assessment Tools, Intervention Skills, and Survivor Support
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Suicide is a major public health issue in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), suicide rates rose 33% between 1999 and 2019. It is critical for all psychologists, licensed mental health...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary The field of professional Christian coaching continues to be a growing opportunity to partner with others in transforming lives, especially during these challenging times. However, maybe the idea of starting a thriving...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Attachment theory holds tremendous potential in the case of conceptualization and treatment of various forms of psychopathology, including childhood problems, relationship conflicts, chronic depression, anxiety disorders,...
030. Addiction, Substance Abuse, and Compulsive Behavior: Assessment, Treatment, and Effective Tools for Recovery
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Addiction and other compulsive behaviors have devastating effects on individuals, families, communities, and cultures. Biological, psychological, social, and spiritual dimensions of persons are involved in the progression...
022. Rising Together: Christian Counselors and Clergy Serving as Human Rights Advocates for Communities of Color
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Recent data suggest an increase in the number of African-Americans seeking therapy. There are also reports that African-Americans are terminating therapy early. Additional research is needed to understand both the increase...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary We live in a time of political unrest, violence, economic instability, and loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, Americans report high levels of prolonged stress and anxiety. This workshop will present a...