208: Clinical Skills of Effective Therapists that Improve Client Outcomes: Empirical Evidence and Clinical Applications from a Christian Perspective
This track workshop presentation will cover eight clinical skills of effective psychologists and licensed mental health professionals that improve client outcomes (Miller & Moyers, 2021; Tan, 2021): accurate empathy, acceptance, positive regard, genuineness, focus, hope, evocation, and offering information and advice. A brief update of psychotherapy relationships that work based on recent empirical evidence will also be provided (see Norcross & Lambert, 2019; Norcross & Wampold, 2019), as well as a Christian perspective on effective therapists that can be used with Christian clients (Tan, 2021; see also Tan, 2018, 2022).
- Identify and summarize eight empirically-based clinical skills of effective therapists that improve client outcomes: accurate empathy, acceptance, positive regard, genuineness, focus, hope, evocation, and offering information and advice
- Demonstrate an understanding of the latest update on psychotherapy relationships that work for psychologists and licensed mental health professionals
- Develop a Christian perspective on the eight empirically-based skills of effective psychologists and licensed mental health professionals that can be used with Christian clients
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary The focus of this workshop will be on “moral injury” in the setting of moderate to severe trauma. Moral injury is a relatively new term in the psychological world, although it is closely related to what used to be called...
018. Borderline and Narcissistic Personality Disorders: Effective Strategies Based on Neurobiologically-informed Treatment
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary A large part of clinical work with individuals, couples, and families involves frustrating situations where clients diagnosed with personality disorders make the same mistakes repetitively and thereby cause much pain and...
007. When Loving Him is Hurting You: Hope and Help for Women Dealing with Narcissism and Emotional Abuse
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary We live in a “me-centered” culture, with many selfishly asserting their “rights” and powering over others in the process. This epidemic of selfishness, entitlement, and emotional immaturity fuels narcissism and marital...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary This workshop will address trends in care for minors who experience diverse gender identities. The presenter will discuss transgender experiences and emerging gender identities, such as gender non-binary, pangender,...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary This workshop will discard an outdated, stigmatizing paradigm and replace it with a modern, brain-based, whole-person program rooted in science and hope. Based on the world’s largest functional brain imaging database, Dr....
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Pornography, adultery, addictions, and abuse destroy marital trust. Reconciliation is always the hoped for goal. But what are the specific steps needed to rebuild broken trust? What are the therapeutic and personal mile...