203: In Sickness and in Health: The Physical Consequences of Emotional Abuse in Marriage
Too many psychologists and licensed mental health clinicians focus on treating the mind, forgetting to ask questions about the body. Thus, they are in danger of enabling a very destructive process instead of participating in powerful interventions. This workshop explores how an unhealthy marriage often leads to an unhealthy body and how the body keeps the score for the health of the marriage. Participants will explore how chronic narcissistic and emotional abuse often leads to various psychosomatic illnesses. Participants will identify the relationship between psychosomatic illness and PTSD, Complex PTSD, and chronic stress in marriage. The presenter will explain stress from a new perspective—that chronic stress (C-PTSD) is horribly debilitating and what actually happens in a marriage fraught with chronic narcissistic and emotional abuse. Participants will assess “emotional exhaustion” and the cost to women of “over-functioning,” coping with, adapting to, and accommodating a stressful marriage. Action steps will be provided for clinicians to assist women suffering from psychosomatic illness for taking responsibility for their healing, finding appropriate emotional and physical help, and creating healthy boundaries that can lead to their physical healing.
- Identify traits of narcissistic and emotional abuse, as well as typical physiological symptoms associated with this type of abuse
- Describe various psychosomatic illnesses often associated with narcissistic and emotional abuse
- Evaluate the relationship between chronic marital stress and psychosomatic illness
- Develop best practices for psychologists and licensed mental health professionals for treating those suffering from narcissistic and emotional abuse, specifically assisting them in finding appropriate physical care, setting healthy boundaries, and taking ultimate responsibility for their healing
070. Hope-focused Suicide Prevention: Risk Assessment Tools, Intervention Skills, and Survivor Support
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Suicide is a major public health issue in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), suicide rates rose 33% between 1999 and 2019. It is critical for all psychologists, licensed mental health...
060. Advanced Life Coaching Skills and How to Grow Your Coaching Business
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary The field of professional Christian coaching continues to be a growing opportunity to partner with others in transforming lives, especially during these challenging times. However, maybe the idea of starting a thriving...
040. Attachment-based Intervention Specialist Training
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Attachment theory holds tremendous potential in the case of conceptualization and treatment of various forms of psychopathology, including childhood problems, relationship conflicts, chronic depression, anxiety disorders,...
030. Addiction, Substance Abuse, and Compulsive Behavior: Assessment, Treatment, and Effective Tools for Recovery
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Addiction and other compulsive behaviors have devastating effects on individuals, families, communities, and cultures. Biological, psychological, social, and spiritual dimensions of persons are involved in the progression...
022. Rising Together: Christian Counselors and Clergy Serving as Human Rights Advocates for Communities of Color
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Recent data suggest an increase in the number of African-Americans seeking therapy. There are also reports that African-Americans are terminating therapy early. Additional research is needed to understand both the increase...
020. Practical Tools to Thrive Against Anxiety and Stress in Challenging Times
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary We live in a time of political unrest, violence, economic instability, and loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, Americans report high levels of prolonged stress and anxiety. This workshop will present a...