018. Borderline and Narcissistic Personality Disorders: Effective Strategies Based on Neurobiologically-informed Treatment
A large part of clinical work with individuals, couples, and families involves frustrating situations where clients diagnosed with personality disorders make the same mistakes repetitively and thereby cause much pain and oppression for themselves and their loved ones. Although the last three decades of neurobiological research shows that people with borderline (BPD) and Narcissistic (NPD) personality disorders have brain abnormalities compared to normal control groups, there is little integration of these findings into counseling approaches. This workshop will highlight some of the neurobiological explanations associated with BPD and NPD and discuss two variations of treatment approaches provided by psychologists and other licensed mental health professionals that effectively create treatment practices that help build functional neural pathways.
- Identify several brain structures related to hypothesized reasons why BPD and NPD fail to learn from the consequences of their behavior
- Compare, contrast, and integrate the similarities and differences between the two clinical treatment approaches for psychologists and licensed mental health professionals presented
- Illustrate the ability to design a treatment plan and conduct a therapy that is effective for BPD and NPD and builds more functional neural pathways
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Most people are affected by mental illness—some because of their own diagnosis, some because a close family member has an illness, and many more because they regularly interact with people who have mental disorders....
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary This workshop is on Narrative Sexual Identity Therapy, a client-centered, identity-focused approach to navigating conflicts between one’s same-sex sexuality and religious identity. Christians who struggle with a conflict...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary When is the issue not the issue? When the issue is sex or money. Both of these hallmark causes of conflict in marriage are seen frequently by couple-helpers, and both are commonly misunderstood as being too specialized (or...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Traumatized adolescents need a therapeutic experience that is physically, emotionally, and spiritually safe with a psychologist or licensed mental health professional. The therapeutic distance and kinesthetic nature of...
009. Spirit and Scripture: Understanding and Utilizing these Resources for Attaining and Maintaining Mental Health
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary Engaging the Scripture and the spiritual dimension are foundational to a biblical Christian approach to soul care and counseling for pastoral counselors, lay counselors, and coaches. This workshop will examine the biblical...
PRESENTERSCREDENTIALSCE CREDITSLEVELSummary The COVID-19 pandemic has strained our mental health professionals to their breaking point. Many psychologists and licensed mental health professionals have taken on additional clients with more significant trauma than...